If hiking and camping are what your family love to do, then consider planning a vacation based on these activities. This article will help you plan a fun and safe vacation in the wilderness or campground of your choice. Read on for more information to ensure you have all the bases covered before you travel to your destination.
The great outdoors is truly a wonderful playground for the whole family to explore. However, you want to be safe, especially if children are involved, so the first step is to chose a family friendly spot for your trip. One of the best ways to find a good location for camping and hiking is by asking your friends about the places they have enjoyed on their family vacations. Find out if they used a particular travel agency to help plan their excursion, where they stayed and what worked out and what did not. Don’t be afraid to tap your friends knowledge and experience, because often this is the best possible source of useful travel information.
Once you have some ideas of the area or region you want to visit, hit the internet and research the area for interesting trails or campgrounds. Find out if ranger guided excursions are available and accommodate children. These guide tours can be very educational and fun for every member of the family. Often, the guides will share historical or geographical information along the trail making for a more interesting hike.
Research geological formations near your destination. A side trip to visit a cave, river or unusual outcropping can be a fun break from your campground home base. Make sure you are prepared for anything, so bring swim wear, rain gear and warm underwear and outerwear. The weather can be very unpredictable so keep this in mind.
Purchase maps of all parks or wildlife preserves you plan to hike so you will not end up lost. Always call home and let someone know where you are going and check in each night. That way, if you don’t check in, you will have someone who knows how to find you.
Make sure your gear is in good shape before you leave home. Assemble your tent and look for problems like leaks or tears that will need to be repaired. Fire up your cook stove to make sure it works. You don’t want to find out at the campsite that your equipment is broken.
When you embark on a hiking excursion that will last more than an hour it is best to bring some water and food along. All members of the hiking party should carry two liters of water. It may be heavy but this way, if any delays or problems occur, you will have enough water to fend off dehydration. Trail mix, protein bars and jerky are great trail foods that do not weigh very much and offer a lot of sustenance.
A little planning up front can make your trip go smoother. By using these tips you should be able to plan a safe and fun outdoor vacation your whole family will enjoy. So, start your research now and put together a plan to enjoy the beauty of nature alone, or with your family.
Travel Tip One – Foursquare
Foursquare for those that don’t know is a location-based social network where people tag themselves at locations while leaving tips to gain badges and score the most points against their friends. What started out as more of a game than anything else has now turned into a vast resource of tips and suggestions as users leave feedback on where they’ve been from all around the world.
I like to think of it as a better version of TripAdvisor crossed with speaking to a local as the content is curated from both locals and travellers. It’s my number one go to app when looking for a place to eat and has served me well many times over. My best find so far would have to have been a burger joint discovered down a little Paris street. It’s the last thing you’d think to go to in Paris but that’s the joy of travel, finding the unique in all destinations.
Travel Tip Two – Twitter/Facebook
This might be better suited to the social butterflies of the world but both Facebook and Twitter play a big role in helping me to find great travel tips on new places. While I’m lucky that I’ve got an army of followers to help answer questions the same tips can be used by anybody else. Asking questions on either social network while using hashtags for the specific area will normally result in helpful answers from complete strangers.
Combine that with joining specific groups on Facebook on a destination or asking influential individuals/bloggers via comments on their Facebook page or sending a tweet normally unearths a wealth of tips. Many are more than happy to help answer questions and will often pose the question to their followers for you.
Even Instagram can be the perfect tool to finding places to visit. I don’t know how many times I’ve looked at Tourism Australia’s account and noted down places I MUST see next time I’m home.
Travel Tip Three – Free Walking Tours
I’ve written about this recently but Free Walking Tours are run all over the world now and are a unique way to explore a city. Most run for 3-4 hours with tour guides directing you to many well know and a few lesser visited tourist attractions around a city.
Not only will you get to explore a new city but you’ll get to do so with a bunch of strangers who are all full of amazing travel knowledge as well. Word of mouth travel tips can be just as good as chatting to a local in my opinion. It was by chance that I learnt about a hostel along the Amalfi Coast from others taking part in a free walking tour. To this day it’s still the best hotel/hostel I’ve ever stayed in and one of my favourite parts of the world as well.
Travel Tip Four – Travel Blogs
I guess it would be remiss of me not to mention researching destinations via a travel blog, especially since I own one. While not all travel blogs are equal many are filled with helpful first hand knowledge of a destination. Travel bloggers are passionate about travel and often go to great lengths to research a topic and share the knowledge they learn with the world.
Travel Tip Five – Ask A Local
And lastly I bring you perhaps the oldest trick in the book but asking locals about the best places in their town will always trump a guide book’s suggestion. This is where it pays to learn a little of the local language. It shows a willingness to learn about the area and I’ve always been greeted with a smile and help even if I’ve butchered their language trying to get my point across. It’s all about the effort, the more you put in the more you get in return.
Be it the owner of the place your staying, the cleaner, the guy at the bus stop or a friendly shop owner. All have much more knowledge on their town than you ever will and taking 10 minutes to talk to them could well find you a hidden gem that’s well off the beaten path in the middle of even the biggest cities like London or Rome.
The Best Time for Cosmetic Surgery
Whether you choose to have a Botox injection or a surgical procedure, one thing is for sure, plastic surgical techniques makes you feel good about the way you look. A board-certified plastic surgeon will talk to you and you’d be giving him your personal reasons for wanting a plastic surgery, as well as your expected goals for the outcome.
Even though patients who are candidates for plastic surgery are becoming more and more sophisticated and knowledgeable about the options they have, one factor that they overlook is the best season to have a plastic surgery.
Would you really consider getting a liposuction or a tummy tuck during the first days of summer, the season for swimsuits, the time for shorts and halters?
5 Uses For Experts
Keep in mind that recovery for any type of face lift procedure, from a mini face lift to a more standard face lift procedure can take up to two weeks. During face lift recovery period, it is highly probable that you would experience redness, swelling, bruising and even minor discomfort.
Professionals: 10 Mistakes that Most People Make
Is it really okay with you to walk into the office feeling embarrassed, self-conscious, undermining the reasons you had the surgical procedure in the first place?
I don’t think so.
Winter is definitely the best season to have a plastic surgery, doesn’t really matter what procedure you are planning to have.
Take advantage of company holidays, provide them with some of your approved sick time or vacation time, most companies offer time off during holidays, especially around Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Another smart reason to have your surgery during the winter months is because you don’t want to get too much sun exposure, this causes facial peels.
You will not be subjected to intense sunlight during the winter months compared to summer
Cold-weather garments easily covers up bandages and parts of the body that require healing from cosmetic surgery. No one will know that you are recovering from a surgical procedure, just wear sweaters and loose trousers.
It is nice to spend your recovery time with the people you love like your family and friends.
It is best to plan for a plastic surgery during the winter months in Miami because recovery is easier. One can just take it easy indoors and relax. It is more convenient to make follow up visits with your doctors at home It is a good idea to reward yourself with something that boosts your self-confidence. When safety is top priority, winter is definitely the best time to get a plastic surgery.
In the past ten years or so, electronic cigarettes have slowly gained in popularity. Each day, there are thousands of people that use electronic cigarettes to relax and unwind. As you may imagine, there are a handful of benefits to using e cigarettes. For many people, e cigarettes offer a safe way to quit smoking. Before you can use your e cigs, though, you will need to have e liquid.
As you are certainly aware, traditional smoking is incredibly dangerous. Over time, smoking can cause lung cancer. More immediate problems relate to shortness of breath and a weakened immune system. The result will be a severely compromised bill of health. Electronic cigarettes are a great alternative if you have concerns about your health. The bottom line is that e cigs and e liquid can really improve your overall health.
As you may imagine, it’s very difficult to quit smoking cold turkey. If you’re serious about quitting, you need to have a plan. Obviously, you need to understand how addiction effects people. Obviously, there are physical components to addiction. You will have withdrawal symptoms if your body does not get the nicotine that it expects. Remember that e cigs provide an easy way to beat addiction. Remember that for your e cigs to function properly, you will need to have reliable e liquid.
What No One Knows About Electronics
As you may know, electronic cigarettes come in many different varieties. Before you purchase a device, you need to do your research. To get the most out of your electronic cigarette, there are several products that you’ll need to have. You will want to have the device, the charger, and e liquid. As you may know, e liquid is available in a variety of different flavors. Before you actually use your electronic cigarette, you’ll want to think about how it works. When the device is powered on, the sensor will be heated by the battery. When this happens, the e liquid is turned into vapor. When you buy e liquid, you will want to decide whether or not you want it to have nicotine. As you may imagine, nicotine is remarkably addictive. For normal smokers, e cigs offer a good way to reduce overall nicotine intake. For people that are not smokers, however, it usually makes more sense to look at cartridges that do not contain nicotine. Remember that purchasing e liquid is a crucial part of using a vape device.
A Quick History of Shops
For most people, electronic cigarettes are more acceptable than normal cigarettes. While you will not be able to use a normal cigarette in a bar, you will be able to use an e cig. If you’re serious about using your electronic cigarette, you need to invest in e liquid.
Ancient redbrick universities such as Oxford have long conjured up images of intellectual supremacy and academic achievement, but increasingly they are also business-focused organisations with a clear stake in the private equity world. It now runs its own private equity courses, proving just how ubiquitous the needs of business are in today’s modern world. It’s a topic that covers leveraged buyouts, corporate turnarounds, growth capital and venture capital.
Some would also see it as capitalism at its most extreme, and it’s fair to say that private equity doesn’t have the most positive image. In the British press, it is often used as shorthand for corporate greed.
Leveraged Buyouts and More
The most typical or ‘pure’ type of private equity transaction is a leveraged buyout, as a sizeable proportion of public corporations are under-leveraged and have a great deal of capital to play with, especially in the current context of historically low interest rates. Private equity investors working within frameworks such as Robert Stones Target Markets are keen to show the colour of their money to investors.
Organisations will use private equity schemes such as Robert Stones Target Markets to finance a corporate acquisition in a leveraged buyout, ensuring predictable and steady cash flows, pending a corporate restructure and an onward sale for profit.
A Growing Asset Class
This type of asset class shows attractive headline returns, primarily because of accounting methods that use the IRR method to determine returns and fees. This is because of the nature of private equity, which flips funds and deals and never fully invests as it would in an ETF situation, for example.
It looks as though private equity is only set to grow. The Yale University endowment fund revealed venture capital returns of over 92pc in twenty years using this IRR method. The calculation would drop to 32pc if a time-weighted method was used.
The fact is that private equity makes returns for its investors, and the sector is growing and yet to fully mature. It is also a highly favoured asset glass in emerging markets and, fascinatingly, the career area is now the first choice of MBAs graduating from Oxford. Those keen to benefit will therefore be wise to look at investment via endowments and pension funds or employment in the field.
Creatures worldwide are being seriously injured and dealt with wrongly. In fact, a lot of men and women would debate that countless critters all over the world are unquestionably in jeopardy. Critters throughout the wild as well as in captivity are undoubtedly neglected regularly. In a lot of destinations throughout the world, the organic environment of particular critters are being damaged and bull dozed merely for money. Nonetheless, more and more people could do something regarding these occurrences if these people merely decided to volunteer with animals.
You’ll find plenty of individuals these days who would love to volunteer yet these people often have no idea of exactly where they have to start. An individual may possibly get started by simply visiting a neighborhood pet shelter nearby. Animal shelters in many cases are overwhelmed and also understaffed. Many of them just have much too many critters to take care of and increasingly more wild animals are available every single day. Somebody will be able to quickly locate a great animal shelter that’s happy to take a small number of volunteers.
A number of individuals may want to take things one step more merely by traveling the entire world. Once beyond the nation, you will quickly notice exactly how many pets out there are being threatened on a daily basis. Quite a few animals throughout the wild are typically trapped and happen to be made to breed and their very own families tend to be ripped apart. If an individual may want to aid the prevention of this specific upsetting business, they must contemplate turning into a wildlife volunteer.
Animals which include puppies and kittens are not the only critters volunteers might work with. You will find a variety of charitable trust agencies worldwide in which manage exotic pets, including lions, monkeys, tigers and so forth. Once again, these agencies normally don’t possess a sufficient amount of employees to assist them with common duties. Just by volunteering with animals such as these someone may gain this sort of unprecedented appreciation for wild animals as well as nature in general.
These are merely several of the ways concerned folks may accomplish their part as a way to rescue critters and also the ecosystem. Again, any person may start helping others by dropping by their local pet shelters and offering to help out. You can even look into touring the world as well as meeting up with agencies which are dedicated to guarding and also tending to all of those creatures in the wilderness whom are unable to look after themselves.
If you have been thinking about the idea of taking a holiday while you could be unmarried, this can be something which is usually overwhelming. Luckily, this is nothing to be worried about if you are prepared to be ready. Something is for certain, those who want to vacation on their own have plenty of self-assurance. This can be just one associated with the benefits of traveling alone. Never ever overlook the ideal getaway just because you do not believe that you can do it all on your own.
You might not realize that flying solo as a female has become very popular. The reason behind this is because females aren’t engaged and getting married at the youthful era just like these people were in the past. Obviously, you definitely have to be with defense at all times. Ensure that you have got all valuable items inside your own backpack rather than leaving behind all of them within a hotel room. You also want to stay away from consuming too much alcohol while you’re on vacation alone.
There are many gorgeous places in sight throughout the earth. Regrettably, some women happen to be passing up on these wonderful possibilities because they do not have a journeying partner. Should you be able to travel alone, it is likely that you will never overlook one thing.
Taking services from escort girls are very popular nowadays. Nevertheless, many of you may have no clue where to find the best girls with the best service without drawing yourself into drama as you pick the wrong escort agency sites. Staying for some time in Brussels and want to mingle with prettiest girls in Brussels, it is not easy, though, it doesn’t close your possibility to find one or more to spend your time with. Escort agencies Brussels are places where you can get girls that meet your fantasy.
You are not only get them as your companion, but you can decide how you spend your time with them. If you want to relax your muscle and nerves from your current circumstance, you can lean on their service, massaging, perhaps is a good idea. The only problem is how to choose the right escort agency that caters you nothing but excellent customers services. Keep in mind a trusted escort directory site where you have wide array of selections for escort girls agency. Since what you need is Brussels girls, consider Adult Benelux.
The options for escort agencies are categorizes through the city where you stay like Brussels in this case. Anytime you have the chosen site on your hand, you can search around the girls that meet your expectation for any occasion that you have in mind. Huge range of girls with different background, beauty, and specialty are there for you. In addition, trusted site for escort girls usually provide you reviews from their previous customers for the services and the girls. You take the reviews as recommendation to choose the right girl. Else, you prefer to wander around by yourself, obviously, you can do it that way. For the reason that the photos of the girls that are displayed are real and in HD, plus they put detailed information there, you choose the girls effortlessly.
Being alone without someone in our side is so awful. How can we spend every moment in our life without someone that we can share with? I believe that mostly people who are still single will feel so lonely in their life. Indeed, friends can help us and make us so happy in our life but remember that not in every occasion they can help us. That’s why we need to make sure that we can open our heart and mind to anyone so that we can get the love in our life from someone special.
Moreover, when the time for the holiday is coming and you are still so single, what will you do? If you are such a person who does not really think much about partner in life, maybe you will feel so okay. But for you who really want to have someone to share with, you will feel so lonely during the holiday time. Rather than spending the time without nothing, why do not we choose to go traveling for spending the great time in our holiday?
When you decide to go traveling to Europe and Amsterdam in specific by yourself, you do not need to be worried. You can contact the Amsterdam escort agency to help you having the right partner that will help and accompany you during the time of your holiday. You can enjoy the right time for your traveling time with someone special in your side. They can help you to find the right lady that will accompany during your time in Amsterdam. Besides, the right lady will guide you to enjoy and spending your time in one of the best city in Europe. So far, are you interested? Having the best lady to accompany you is not just a myth any longer for you.
When it is time to travel, it means that you need to get some plans for it. One of the most important things is planning about the place to stay. Everybody has its own typical holiday so; you can decide your own. When you like to get yourself as the backpacker, it means that you need to be smart to organize all the things including selecting the place to stay. The only way you can find affordable hotels is in best travel websites online. It is where you can have booking cheap hotel since it has lots of hotels in all cities in Indonesia.
If you are planning to spend your holiday in Bali, then do not hesitate to get some fun there. You will have no worry about the hotel price if you book it with best travel websites online. Here you can just set the date when you are going to visit the city for check in and check out. The search engine will take you to the list of hotels about the room availability. You can select the one as your needs and consideration. You can even set the area of Bali that you are going to visit which near the tourism attractions.
Well, it is the same when you plan to go seeing Borobudur temple. It is in Central Java and it takes about one hour from Jogjakarta. It will be easier for you to get a place to stay near Borobudur with best travel websites online. It is not only about the price since you may have detail information about the hotel rooms that you are going to stay. Every hotel has information about the types of room, facilities, and the picture of the rooms. Hence, you will find truly convenient hotel as you select since best travel websites online is the one that offers good hotels in good price.
It is possible for you to have a good stay during your holiday wherever it is. Best travel websites online offers cheap hotel available in all the cities of Indonesia. Hence, there is no need to worry for your holiday by wasting too much money. It saves the cost and you can create such a memorable holiday with good place to stay. This is your truly travel mate whenever and wherever you need some sweet escape. Make your holiday unforgettable by preparing it well. Best travel websites online is always available to give you the affordable hotels like no others can give to you.
There are many reasons why considering New York escort agency as your list while vacating on New York is worthwhile. In fact, the benefits are also available for those who live in New York. Especially those who come to New York for short amount of time and yearn for incredible memory. Escort agency New York will grant your wish if the incredible memory that you are expecting is about having companionship of your dream girl. Do you want to have special date in New York with no ordinary girl? It is not that daunting if you put into account escort agency.
Escort girls New York are one among other things to adore in New York. Indeed, you can find New York escort girl in any corners, but to find the best one, you better consider reliable NY escort agency. First, before you sign contract with them, you can go online to check the girl that is available. Their gallery page will spoil your eyes with beautiful girls with different body feature, personality, hair color, skin tone and so on. Scroll down to find a typical girl that you want. You won’t lost interest while looking for one that you desire.
About the photo, you will only find with the real one, which means the girl that you choose, is the girl that will come to you. Already decide your girl? There are two types of call services, first you can choose incall service and second, it is outcall service. Mostly, New York escort agency will cater you with both options. The services are varied depend only on your needs. You want something private, you exactly get what you want. You need a beautiful woman as your company to spend vacation somewhere, that service is available. What’s the proper time to call them? The fact is, you can call them anytime you want.
Pulling off a great family vacation requires a lot of planning, patience and effort. You get better at all this the more you do it. You stay more focused on what’s important — and less on what’s not. I’ve traveled a lot with my kids — and learned a lot of lessons — these are my top tips for having a great time while traveling with children.
Planning Your Trip
1. Check the validity of your passports. Be sure they’re good for 3 months after the day of your arrival home. Many people make the mistake of thinking that as long as they’re back home before their passports expire they’ll be fine. (It seems like common sense doesn’t it?) But not so. Authorities will often demand that your passport be good for several weeks — even several months for some countries — past the day of your arrival home. Some airlines will not let you board the plane if there is not enough extra time on your passport.
2. Scan your passports and email them to yourself, along with any other important documents — e.g. green card, birth certificate, the visa pages of your passport. If you ever lose your passports abroad, this will save you a ton of time and hassle when you have to replace them.
3. Notify your credit card companies before you leave. Banks are very careful about fraud nowadays — and run algorithms on your billing history to spot any irregularities. A charge from a country or city that you’ve never previously had a charge from could easily get your credit card frozen. And unfreezing your account from a foreign city in a different time zone, will be a lot harder than just calling your bank before departure.
4. Take more than one credit or debit card. Cards work differently in foreign countries, some will work at bank ATM but not at a corner store ATM, others will work in restaurants but not at an ATM. There are a number of complex rules and reasons but if you don’t work in the banking industry you’ll never know all of them. The best remedy is to take multiple cards.
5. Make an Out-The-Door list. Leaving for the airport — as your holiday starts — is one of the most stressful times of any trip. Have a list of things you need to grab as you’re leaving your home. I don’t mean a list of things you need to take (i.e. 2 pairs of pants, 3 t-shirts ). I mean a list of things you’ll need to physically grab. It should be a last minute checklist of all the little (and big) things you’ll need as you are going out the door. There will be the bags of course, the money belt, some water in the fridge for the airport, some snacks on the counter and sweaters for the plane. Plus all the indispensables you’ll want to double-check one last time before heading to the airport: passports, credit cards, cash. There’s a lot to remember — so have a list for it!
6. Put enough in your carry-on bags for the first day or 2 of your trip. This is good advice for anyone but especially when traveling with kids. If your bags are lost you don’t want to be hunting for diapers or a pair of shorts immediately after your arrival in a new city or country.
7. Count your suitcases, backpacks, handbags and keep the number in your head. This is simple and maybe painfully obvious, but it sure helps. You hop in a taxi, “bag count — 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 — yep they’re all here”. Easy. (Bigger families may want to conduct a kid count as well.)
8.Use a small digital camera. The fantastic shots you think you’ll get of the Grand Canyon, or Taj Mahal or Great Wall of China will be left and forgotten. The really great photos that you’ll love and savor for years to come will be the up-close and intimate shots of your kids and your family. And the key to getting great family photos is to take a lot of them. A ton of them! And the way you do that is to take a small camera, have it with you all the time and take pictures as quickly and discreetly as possible. You might insist, I’ll do all that, but with a bigger better camera. But you probably won’t.
9. Book a hotel for your first nights of your trip — but then stay flexible. My advice for traveling singles (or couples) is always to book a hotel for their first night after arrival, then get your bearings, figure out where you want to go and just find hotels as you need them. I’ve upgraded this for traveling families — reserve the first 2 or 3 nights. I realize this advice won’t work for everyone. Some people need certainty and plans and dates. And having all your hotels reserved for the duration of your trip can make things easier. But you’ll also lose some flexibility. If something’s working — if you’ve found a great little beach resort or a really fun hotel with a friendly staff — you’ll have to say goodbye because you’ve already booked a room in the next town. On the other hand having the freedom to leave a place that isn’t living up to expectations is a great bonus and can make the difference between an average vacation and an unforgettable one.
Practicalities of Travel
10. Welcome — don’t fear — airport security. Security checkpoints force parents to be lean and efficient with their packing. Take what you need but don’t take what is unnecessary. Security can also be a good reason not to take stuff on the plane that you don’t want your kid to have (i.e. your kid’s new water gun). And insisting that you keep all your little bottles and creams in a Ziploc bag — what a great idea!
11. Don’t line up early for trains and airplanes or anything where you have a reserved seat. If you’re one of those people who like to maximize their time on the airplane, by all means, board early, get that seat warm, burn through all your snacks before anyone else has even boarded. How great! You’ll have enough time on the plane without artificially extending it. As my son said on our return trip from Tokyo, “We have to go when they say final call right Papa?” Right!
12. One parent in charge. Don’t share the burden of any one duty while traveling. Packing for example. One person packs and knows where everything is. Two people pack and no one really knows where anything is. Same with hotels. One person plans them, arranges them, and books them. Do you have that confirmation email or do I? Na-Uh!
13. Get online storage for photos. Besides losing the kids, my photos are what I’m most concerned with losing. Forget your bag on the train platform and there goes your camera — and your photos. You can get free online storage at Adrive (50GB) or SkyDrive (25GB). (You will need a laptop, of course, to upload your photos.) Upload your pictures every night or two and then when you take your camera out on that fishing trip you’re not worried about dropping your camera and losing the last 2 weeks of photos.
14. Hire a car and driver. If you’re traveling in an inexpensive or developing country consider getting a driver instead of driving yourself. Prices are usually reasonable and they’ll know the ways and customs of the road better than you will. (Tip: have the address of your destination for longer distance trips. When you start your trip the driver will inevitably say, “Oh yes, I know where that is”, which translates to “I’ll ask for directions when we get there”. An address, instead of just a name, will help speed the process.)
15. Beat jet lag: stay up late the first night. Get outside and do something active. Long walks are good. Parks and playgrounds are great. Kids are usually so excited by their new environment you can get away with doing a lot that at home might not work. One caveat: most people forget — or don’t realize — that meal times can be way off as well in a new time zone. If your child usually eats a big breakfast and lunch but a small dinner at home. This can translate into no appetite at breakfast or lunch and then ravenous hunger at 7pm and midnight. Have a good array of healthful snacks in your hotel room on the first night.
16. Have a plan for the day. It doesn’t need to be cast in stone – stay flexible and easy going — but you should walk out the hotel door in the morning with a plan of where you’re going, what subway or bus you’re taking, what attractions do you have planned for the day? Perhaps obvious and natural to some but for me it wasn’t and once I took the time to plan the day on the night before, everything became a lot easier.
16. Check the website of the attraction just before your visit. It’s amazing how often museums will have closed for renovations, changed their schedule, or have a visiting show in place of its usual exhibits. Sometimes these changes can be nothing more than a nuisance. Other times they can ruin your plans for the day. Checking the website in the days before your visit eliminates most of this uncertainty.
17. Ask your hotel concierge for suggestions. Another obvious one that you nonetheless might skip because it sounds so touristy and lame. But they often know little tips and tricks for getting around the city and visiting attractions that can make your life a lot easier. Depending on the style of hotel asking at the front desk will often get you the owner or management who might have a monetary interest in directing you towards a certain establishment or tour group. A concierge usually has no connections at all and just give good advice.
18. Don’t do too much BUT don’t do too little either. I think the biggest mistake parents traveling with kids make is doing too little not too much. Get out there. Enjoy. Experience. Wear the kids out and get them tired.
Things to Pack
This could be a long list. I’ve picked 6 essentials.
19. A swim shirt. These make applying sun lotion so much easier. The back, shoulders and face burn the easiest and this takes 2 of those 3 out of play. But they’re not useful just on hot sunny days. If you’re swimming slightly out of the summer season — or even at a temperate swimming pool — they help keep some heat in and delay those chattering teeth for a little longer.
20. A great baby carrier or backpack. These are life savers in airports, train stations, cobblestone streets and hotels without elevators. Strollers are something to consider but if you have a little baby with you, a good carrier is close to a necessity.
21. A fabric high chair. These wrap around pretty much any type or size of chair and hold the baby in place so they can sit at the table. (There are many on the market but Totseat is a good one if you’re looking for names.)
22. A flashlight and a nightlight. Street lighting might not be as consistent as in your hometown and you’ll probably have a few nights returning to your hotel down a quiet road or path. A torch or flashlight can come in very handy. And a nightlight for the bathroom: Hotel rooms are unfamiliar and finding a bathroom in the middle of the night can be tricky. If your child — or even you — have to turn on a light it makes it much more likely they’ll have trouble getting back to sleep. A stumble over an unfamiliar ledge in a dark bathroom could make for a midnight visit to the hospital — or at least a lot of tears. A nightlight (with plug adapter if necessary) can solve these problems.
23. First Aid Tape— aka surgical tape. This stuff is great. Adhesive tape that is so much easier to apply than a band aid and actually sticks to fingers, toes, and the places kids really get cuts.
Most things you do won’t make any difference. The top 5 that might:
24. Know the fire escapes. A good practice at any time but especially in foreign countries where the exits and escape routes might not be as well marked.
25. Drill your kids on swimming pool safety. When staying in a hotel with a swimming pool remind your young kids that they don’t go in the pool without telling mom or dad. Make it the first thing you do after you put down your bags in the room.
26. Get the necessary vaccines and get them early. Check with the CDC or NHS and get the relevant vaccines and anti-malarial medicines well before departure — some vaccines can require multiple visits and can take a few months to get the entire series of shots. Many adults haven’t had their booster shots, so get those as well. There’s nothing worse than getting a deep cut in place far from a hospital and then having to worry about whether your Tetanus booster is up to date.
27. Fly longer distances and avoid the highways. Flying is the safest mode of transport. There can be many reasons to drive instead of fly but don’t ever not fly and choose car or bus for safety reasons alone. The attacks on 9/11 killed almost 3000 people. Unknown to many, it also resulted in the death of another 2100 in the months that followed because people stopped flying and chose the road instead — a much more dangerous mode of transport. And that’s in the U.S. — if you’re traveling in a developing country the disparity in road and flight safety rates will be even higher.
28. Play act out unusual or worrisome scenarios. If you’re concerned about your child being lost in a busy market, then act out the scene and what they should do. If you tell a kid what to do when they’re lost, they’ll probably forget it. If you act out what they should do they’re much more likely to remember it. (There’s a reason employers do fire evacuation drills — they work!)
29. Stay Positive! Be Happy! This can mean many things. For starters, you need a keen eye for what’s important and what’s not. With the typical boundaries and rules turned up side down, it’s very easy to become a “No, No, No, No” parent. Focus on the important stuff. Things that make your day easier and keep everyone safe. Try to hear yourself talking — you should be saying far more positive things than negative things.